Monday, 13 August 2012

I dream of an Empire of Lace...

Hi Internet

Today I have another re-fashion post!

Starting point point, looked something like this (I thought I had taken a photo of it, but I was wrong obviously)

Now I know what your thinking, why refashion a dress that is so pretty already, well dear friends, I picked up this dress at New Look in their sale and it was a size 18, so it was rather large on me. My initial plan was to make a billowy lace tunic, inspired by one I had seen on a woman in the pub whilst watching a football match (don't judge me for that, the match in question was an England game during the World Cup in 2010, if I'm going to be judged, judge me on my procrastination and fabric hoarding tendencies)

Anyway, back to the point. I removed the zipper from the back, unpicked the skirt and remade the princess seams and armholes so they fit, then I made an A-line skirt out of some navy double knit (also stashed since 2010) I reused the zip from the original dress so this was a super cheap project (dress was £3, and the double knit was about a fiver I think)



Apologies for the shoddy pics, I started a new job a couple of weeks ago and all I want to do at the weekends is wear PJ's and sleep, I'm hope to bob this feeling passes quickly, it sucks to not have the energy to sew and partake in sewing related frippery.



I quite like this photo, the colour palette in it reminds me of banoffee pie.


Incidentally, this is the lace fabric used in my blog header.



Rachel-Lou x

6 comments:

  1. Looks great, and I love the lace with navy combo! Wish you had taken a "before" pic wearing the original dress and an "after" pic of you wearing your new dress, so we could better see the improvement in fit. I'm sure it looks beautiful on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The annoying thing is, I know I took a photo of it originally because it was a pain in the ass getting the lace pattern to show up on camera properly! I'm sure it will get a wearing over winter, so I should get some 'out in the wild' shots of it then.

      Delete
  2. I love the lace/navy combo too. I haven't ever done a refashion to the extent you have with this dress. But I am inspired. I have a dress that I only like the top part of and I was going to alter it into a top alone...but you've given me the idea to fashion a skirt for it instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it! its easy, just make sure you only baste your skirt seams while you make sure it fits into the bottom of the top, I didnt take do this and had to do a lot of boring seam ripping and re-stitching

      Delete
    2. Okay, thanks for the tips. I just bought the best fabric for my refashion...

      Delete
  3. I'm loving the combination of the lace bodice with the dark skirt, and bravo for reusing the zip! I completely understand the picture dilemma - all I want to do on the weekends is sleep and watch movies - taking pictures sometimes requires more energy than I have haha! Well done on your refashion :)

    ReplyDelete